February 19, 2008

On Her Majesty's Shinobi Service

Tomoko and I have just returned from our second (my third) trip to the UK and as always it was utterly brilliant.

Some have been with us right from the start - Gary, Miles, Rik, Hanzo, Hassan, Dermot, Mags, Murrough - but this time 'round we met plenty of new Buyu including Alan from Malta, Rex from Ireland, and a host of others from around England we hope to see again. I'd also like to thank Shihan Norman Smithers for coming out on Sunday - it was terrific to meet him; he made the day especially enjoyable. Special thanks to Rie for videotaping (a copy should be forthcoming) and of course Steve Kovalcik who's been with me since the early days and made the seminar happen.

Tomoko and I were very busy: in addition to the weekend, I taught twice during the week and she took her own night on Friday, teaching the finer points of Makko ho and its Hodo Taiso. Turnout was strong, including folks who didn't train, and everyone sincerely enjoyed it. We also managed to do some sightseeing in and around London: we saw Windsor castle, the Tower of London, and also caught a matinee of "Cabaret," which had lots of naked people in it - it gave "bangers and mash" a whole new meaning.

I can say without hesitation this was our very best seminar to date. Not only did I feel more connected to everyone there, but I think the message was taken to heart. Bujinkan training is a very special thing - sacred in a way - and I wanted everyone to experience the chance to discover a new perspective for themselves, one that grants ownership of their training. I'd like to say we achieved that.

There is plenty of information constituting the "what" of Bujinkan training - katas, wazas, kihon, sanshin, weapons, and natural skills. But the "how" - the perspective from which all of it is trained - is far more interesting to me. It is simply not enough, in my opinion, to be technically proficient in the "basics," which are at best reference material to guide us. The challenge for everyone last weekend was to own their training by stripping the "what" of the very elements practictioners are so overly focused on.

However much you put into training, you'll get double back. But when we focus too much on the details and not enough on direction, we take one step forward and two steps back, resulting in achingly slow progress or worse, Budo purgatory. Efficient and contextual training is like finding a well-worn trail in the woods, allowing us unimpeded advancement. But we have to decide to use it.

I am proud of everyone who stuck it out through some very tough training last weekend. All of us could have been doing anything else, but we chose to be there and I know I came out better for it.

No comments: