September 6, 2009

A Busy Weekend

I've done a lot of training in the past couple of days. Tomo and I visited Nagato sensei on Saturday night and Sunday I saw both Soke and Duncan Stewart. Great fun.

Nagato used me as uke on Saturday, which always provides the best chance for 'transmission' of Taijutsu. I'm still processing it, but suffice it to say his movement is expanded, somehow broader and lighter, without losing the connection to the moment. Just a dozen years ago, when I was living in Tokyo, Nagato used me as uke often, but seemed to rely more on his tremendous ability inside the kukan. Now, I feel like he is manipulating the kukan itself. A very different feeling.

Soke's class yesterday was, well, Soke's class. As much as I feel I take away from his teaching (or coaching), I always leave with more questions, the result of trying to apply logic to illogical answers, I guess. 'Nawa no kukan' or 'Nawa no kankaku,' the feeling of rope, connection, connectivity, 'Tsunagaru,' is continually spoken of. No matter where he is, what weapon he is using, or how many opponents there are, Soke is always in control, without ever seeking control.

He spoke of Tenmon Chimon at the start of class. With the outbreak of influenza, we should take care of our health, paying attention to the weather and our environment. Soke also had us work with the shinobi zue, the staff with concealed chain, to further this continuation of rope-like movement. I've got to make one of those.

And yes, Soke's hair is purple, and I mean, purple. Now, I've heard several reasons and explanations as to why this is and I have reached this conclusion: Soke dyed his hair purple because ... he can. Everybody got it? Good. Let's move on.

Duncan is a great guy and we had some good fun yesterday. He has a solid understanding of Taijutsu and I would encourage everyone to train with him when in town. He teaches Sundays at 3pm at Hombu. Check him out.

Incidentally, during secret, secret conversations I have had with him, he has mentioned, nary above a whisper, the mighty and the deadly 'kancho ken.' Hatsumi sensei speaks little of this. According to Duncan, who has personally experienced this 'kancho ken,' when performed correctly, there can be no defense. Ask him nicely to see it, and he may, after a moment's thought, oblige you. But be prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The " kancho ken " is a mysterious movement that comes from a place that can't be seen. The movement enters through one of the deepest, darkest parts of your being. It can be performed by anyone who is in the right place at the right time. It does have a technique but, the requirement is force of spirit and a real desire to control the space.
Take care, and watch your back!
James has been given this knowledge ( kuden ).
He will share this secret technique with those who are sincere and " are open " to reaching deep and probing for the ultimate method of yubijutsu.
Lol.